Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>

Lars Henrik Mathiesen scripsit:

> I assume Charles' father will be Phil the Greek, just like *here.*

Not what I had in mind.

> why should he give up his Greek titles *there?* (He used to be 4th or
> so in line to the Greek throne, which was still a going concern when
> he suddenly gave it all up to marry a girl called Lizzie).

He did that *there* too, although a different Lizzie (Plantagenet).
Instead of an oldest son Charles, they had an oldest daughter Diana.

> BTW, what is the status of the European nations *there?* Just like
> *here?*

We don't really know.  France had a Revolution and a Napoleon, and they
have a Republic now, at least in name (it may in fact be some sort of
dictatorship).

The inch-pound measurement system and the pounds/shillings/pence currency
have remained standard throughout Europe, though hopefully at least the
former has been the subject of international standardization.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.