Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Sat, 15 May 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> > BTW, what is the status of the European nations *there?* Just like
> > *here?*
>
> We don't really know.  France had a Revolution and a Napoleon, and they
> have a Republic now, at least in name (it may in fact be some sort of
> dictatorship).

Do we have any idea how centralised France is compared with *here*?

> The inch-pound measurement system and the pounds/shillings/pence currency
> have remained standard throughout Europe, though hopefully at least the
> former has been the subject of international standardization.

This must indeed be the case.  Within the EU *there*, all measures and
currencies are standardised now, but there is no "single currency" only an
equalisation of the existing currencies.  What the specifics are have not
been worked out, though.  Whether the FK joins the party or not remains to
be seen, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will.

Padraic.