Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>
>
> France was dropped from the title of the Monarches of Britain only this
> century after a successful visit by a king to France before WWI, the fleur
> de Llys was removed from the royal coat of arms at the same time.

This refers to *here* I suppose?

> I don't know if the Anglo-Scottish monarch would use the title Def. Fid.
> The title was originally given to Henry VIII *here* as for his
> publications in opposition to the Reformation (Insert irony here).  I
> don't think it was intended to be a hereditary title.

Seems to me that if there were a Hviii *there* (or a simulacrum thereof)
that did the same thing, then the title may be possible.  Otherwise I
don't really see how it could work.

> I'm wondering if Charles Mountbattern would have Greek citizenship
> *there*.  Would Prince Filippos marry a first cousin of the House of
> Plantagenet or would he go whistling elsewhere for more juicier, and
> ambitious, game?

If he does, and ever visits Greece as a young man, they'll take him right
into the army.  As for amorous intentions: why not have his cake and eat
it as well? ;-)

> There is a European Union.  The invitation for the FK to join caused a
> crisis of identity in Kemr that actually knocked Rugby off from being
> headline news for a while!  Personally I think the FKers, being
> federalists already would be natural participants for such a union,
> although others may have different views.

I would think that equivalent forces keeping the UK out of the EU (at
least the economic part) would probably also keep the FK out.  Or at least
on the sidelines watching to see how quickly they'll tear themselves
apart.  Especially as far as economic union is concerned.  The identity
crisis may be rather an important factor: how can one be both subject to
the EU's governance while at the same time subject the colonies and
associated states to one's own governance without them in turn being part
of the EU?  It just seems a difficult thing to fit an Empire/Commonwealth
with all its associate ragtag into the cogs of a strictly European state.
The FK have the Empire/Commonwealth to worry about; and if they have
played their cards correctly, probably don't _need_ the EU.

> Since there have been two Great Wars (Llo Wer Ran in Brithenig) if either
> of them had been fought against the Germans the Battenbergs would have
> become Mountbattens rather than been seen as German sympathisers.
>
> The federation occured as a reaction to the threat of the Napoleonic Wars.
> I assume the Continental system has been abandoned since then.  Any
> differences that may exist in borders and governments in Europe are caused
> by differences in British history and its dynasties.  Remember, Great
> Britain remained a Catholic country with a Protestant minority *there*,
> with flow-on effects to relations to its neighbours.

Don't know enough about European history of this time to hazard too many
guesses about borders and such.  They're proabably not too awful important
anyway.

Padraic.