Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Lars Henrik Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk>

> Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 11:09:34 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> > I'm wondering if Charles Mountbattern would have Greek citizenship
> > *there*.  Would Prince Filippos marry a first cousin of the House of
> > Plantagenet or would he go whistling elsewhere for more juicier, and
> > ambitious, game?

Hmm, let's just synchronize our noble houses. *Here,* AFAIK:

    The Mountbattens descend from Ludwig Prince of Battenberg
    (1854-1921), cousin and son-in-law to Grand Duke Ludwig 2 of
    Hesse, married to Queen Victoria's granddaughter Victoria.

    His grandson (through eldest daughter Alice) is Philippos, Prince
    of Greece and Denmark. In November 1947, he is third in line to
    the Greek throne, after his cousin King Paul and Crown Prince
    Constantine (age 7) --- although he has been living in London with
    his uncle, Louis I Mountbatten, Earl of Burma, since he was a boy.

    And suddenly he gives up being a Greek, gets Midlothian bestowed
    on him for some reason, and the next day he marries the Crown
    Princess.

So, if Elizabeth II Plantagenet is married to Philip von Battenberg
*there,* where does Charles von Battenberg, son of the Duke of
Edinburgh come from? I think Philip got cloned somewhere in this.

I think Diana Plantagenet should marry Charles, 9th Earl of Spencer.
He doesn't even need a dukedom.

> If he does, and ever visits Greece as a young man, they'll take him right
> into the army.

I think all the Greek republican goverments during his youth would
rescind his citizenship, and refuse him a visa if he asked. And during
the periods when Greece was a Kingdom, he shouldn't have any problems.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <thorinn@diku.dk> (Humour NOT marked)