Re: Modern History and the Brzhona, etc.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Frank George Valoczy wrote:

<snip my bit>

> This makes for an interesting turn of events -- having to contend with a
> USSR who _doesn't_ have to contend with the USA.  There was a protracted
> discussion a while back on the What-If history group regarding a no USA /
> USSR only scenario.  I believe the ultimate concensus was that the USSR
> could survive for several decades beyond the 1980s, but would eventually
> collapse under its own ineffeciencies.  It would probably have to contend
> with China (if it goes Communist *there*), though.

This sounds good.  As for China, before we can say it went communist, I'd
have to ask: did the US have any influence over that?  What I mean is,
would China have gone communist if the US didn't exist?

> We probably wouldn't have a NATO per se; it would probably be something
> more along the lines of a Western Alliance, i.e. NATO minus the USA and
> Canada.

That's how I figured it...sort of like the EU as a military alliance.

> Respecting the name Brzhona -- *here*, the Gauls were in Britany first,
> then Mr Caesar came and they all liked his toga so much that they became
> Gallo-Romans.  Then the Franks moved in and compelled everyone to cease
> eating cows and pigs and learn how to have cuisine with beef and porc,
> thus becomming French.  Somewhen in that mix, some Britons left Britain,
> thus ceasing to be British, but upon landing in France, refused to eat
> cuisine (and thus become French) and they became Brezhoneg instead.
>
> *There*, if the Brzhona are native Gauls, then their name would probably
> have to change, unless they associated themselves with the immigrant
> Britons before moving off to the Low Countries.  Otherwise, their place of
> origin could change, and they would be one of the emigrant British groups
> fleeing the Perditious Saxon.

Well, if it fits, I'd go with the second option, because I like the sound
of "Brzhonegh".

-------ferke
Ferenc Gy. Valoczy

                      Es to pilni'gi noliedzu!