Re: Modern History

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> There may be no USA as such, but there would be Canada, maybe a
> Canada that extends rather further south and is called the
> Union of North America or the like.  Probably a multilingual

Though probably not a whole lot further south; probably NY, if we want to
tangle with the Dutch; and mayhap the eastern seaboard if they plant lots
of colonies. The French will likely retain La. and the Spanish everything
else.  That would essentially leave the FK with the "original 15 colonies"
or whatever number you choose to use.  I don't know about Belize, the
Carribean, Guyana, etc.

> federation like the FK, it might not have had a successful
> revolution if the FK authorities were more reasonable than the
> British ones, as seems likely to have been the case.

If the FK were "reasonable", would the colonies really _want_ to revolt?
(Assuming colonists that are set out for reasons _other than_ escaping a
Cruel and Repressive regime, "religious freedom", penal colonies, enforced
labour, etc.)  People who are loyal to king and country, but who yearn for
new horizons aren't necessarily looking for a bloody revolutionary war
(e.g. the majority of New Englanders at the time of the Revolution
*here*).

> (In some ways, Canada's revolution came in two parts:
> in 1812 against their southern neighbors, and in 1918 against their
> colonial masters.)
>
> I'm still trying to figure out just which of the North American
> colonies would have been Brithenig-speaking.  Data are somewhat
> hard to come by.

Perhaps we should look at a map?  That's how we found the Kernow, the
Brzhona, the Border, etc. ;-)  It must just a matter of figuring out which
part of the FK is more disposed to colonising which part of the world (and
for what reasons).  Would these colonies be discreet or a hotch-potch?

> --
> John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
> 	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
> 	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
> 		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)

Padraic.