Re: Modern History and the Brzhona, etc.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Frank George Valoczy wrote:

> I understand and would have to agree with much of what Padraic says, But:
> Were there not some war second war in Europe, and hence no Cold War, there
> wouldn't be a cold war, because what the founders of the Sobjeta
> Rrwspwvlyka wanted would have come true, and Europe would all be Soviet
> states.  Unless of course someone had the foresight to see what the
> Soviets were planning, and something like the EU and NATO were formed, but
> with only European nations as members, because there would have had to
> have been some togetherwork between the Western Europeans to safeguard
> themselves against Soviet expansionist ideas.  So, whether the US exists
> *there* or not, whether WWII happened or not, the USSR does (or did)
> exist, and
> therefore Soviet/Russian expansionist ideas do as well, which, if we want
> to maintain our culture and heritage, must be countered.

This makes for an interesting turn of events -- having to contend with a
USSR who _doesn't_ have to contend with the USA.  There was a protracted
discussion a while back on the What-If history group regarding a no USA /
USSR only scenario.  I believe the ultimate concensus was that the USSR
could survive for several decades beyond the 1980s, but would eventually
collapse under its own ineffeciencies.  It would probably have to contend
with China (if it goes Communist *there*), though.

We probably wouldn't have a NATO per se; it would probably be something
more along the lines of a Western Alliance, i.e. NATO minus the USA and
Canada.

Respecting the name Brzhona -- *here*, the Gauls were in Britany first,
then Mr Caesar came and they all liked his toga so much that they became
Gallo-Romans.  Then the Franks moved in and compelled everyone to cease
eating cows and pigs and learn how to have cuisine with beef and porc,
thus becomming French.  Somewhen in that mix, some Britons left Britain,
thus ceasing to be British, but upon landing in France, refused to eat
cuisine (and thus become French) and they became Brezhoneg instead.

*There*, if the Brzhona are native Gauls, then their name would probably
have to change, unless they associated themselves with the immigrant
Britons before moving off to the Low Countries.  Otherwise, their place of
origin could change, and they would be one of the emigrant British groups
fleeing the Perditious Saxon.

Padraic.