Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>

Andrew Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure if France is less decentralised *there* than *here*.  All we
> know is that there has been one borrowing from Occitan to Brithenig
> similar to a borrowing to standard French.

I think we established this point when we were talking about
Breathanach: modern France is a multilingual state, although
Francien is certainly strong and perhaps growing.

> 1567    Mary abdicates; minority of James II/VI.
> Who served as regent?  For how long?

Good question.  I haven't a clue, but might know by early June.

> 1570    Death of Mary.
> She lived longer *here* until her execution.  Foul play?

Quite likely.  I think it's one of those mysteries, like
Richard III (*here*) and the princes in the Tower.

> 1572    The Beggars of the Sea capture Brill, Flushing, Holland and
> Zeeland.

Cool!  Who are they?

> There seems three main questions in the 16th century *there*, the fate of
> British Protestants, the collusion between the British monarches, the king
> of France and the Pope to contain Spanish influence, and the fate of the
> independant Dutch provinces.

I think that the British monarchs would have to support them,
despite religious differences, first against Spain and then
against France.  Did the Anglo-Dutch Wars (Van Tromp and all that)
happen *there*, later on?