Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

On Wed, 19 May 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> I think we established this point when we were talking about
> Breathanach: modern France is a multilingual state, although
> Francien is certainly strong and perhaps growing.

Oookay.

> > 1570    Death of Mary.
> > She lived longer *here* until her execution.  Foul play?
>
> Quite likely.  I think it's one of those mysteries, like
> Richard III (*here*) and the princes in the Tower.

Fair enough.
> > 1572    The Beggars of the Sea capture Brill, Flushing, Holland and
> > Zeeland.
>
> Cool!  Who are they?

I'm not entirely sure but they seem to be Dutch privateers who based
themselves in England only a few years earlier to attack Spanish ships.
Their capture of Holland seems to be the beginning of a Netherlands
independent of the Habsburg possessions.

> I think that the British monarchs would have to support them,
> despite religious differences, first against Spain and then
> against France.

I think so too.

                   Did the Anglo-Dutch Wars (Van Tromp and all that)
> happen *there*, later on?

This is very likely.  I have to look at the alliances of the 17th Century
next and consider which ones the FK would have alligned with.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Orcs eat Hummers."
			- Old Orc Saying.