Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

I'm not sure if France is less decentralised *there* than *here*.  All we
know is that there has been one borrowing from Occitan to Brithenig
similar to a borrowing to standard French.

Back in the early days of the Brithenig archives there is a message from
one member describing the controversy that the invitation to the EU caused
in Kemr.  It was so well written it just had to be included, it's one of
the criteria for becoming part of Kemrese culture.  The invitation to join
does not mean that the FK was a founding member, as Padraic has pointed
out the West European Islanders are an insular lot.  While they may be
inclined to federalism, they originally went that way to resist being
included in an earlier European Union!

Meanwhile I started looking at post-Reformation history *there* and found
some interesting details.

1453	Reconquest of Calais by French
John has just contributed this date.  The Hundred Years war ends with the
English being forced out of Calais.  It reminds me to go research this
period to see how the English survived without the extra Welsh troops it
had *here*.

1518	James Stuart becomes James I of England.
This is the date I have on the Kemrese timeline.

1550	English Protestants emigrate to Holland to escape persecution.
Persecution due to the Reformation started earlier there.

1554	Philip, heir to Charles V, visits England?
Even without the Reformation, the British would still be caught up in a
rivalry between France and Spain, with the new Stuart dynasty of England
being long time allies of France.  Would Philip seek an engagement with
the half-French Princess Mary, James I's successor?

1557	Organization of Scottish Protestantism under the Lords of the
Congregation.

1559	John Knox returns to Scotland.

1560	Succession of Queen Mary.

1567	Mary abdicates; minority of James II/VI.
Who served as regent?  For how long?

1570	Death of Mary.
She lived longer *here* until her execution.  Foul play?

1572	The Beggars of the Sea capture Brill, Flushing, Holland and
Zeeland.
The breakaway of the United Provinces from Catholic Spanish government
would effect relations between France, Spain and England-Scotland.

1577	Ffrencisc ill Dragun's voyage around the world begins.
No prizes for guessing who he is!

1578	Evangelical (Protestant) church of Kemr founded.

1585	Sixtus V becomes Pope, opposed to state control of the church,
especially Spanish.

1586	Leicester in the United Provinces.
*Here* he was sent to aid the defence of the Provinces with Queen
Elizabeth's approval and investment, *there* his actions and motives may
prove to be more obscure.

1588	Translation of the Bible into Brithenig.  The Spanish Armada?
It is likely that *there* that Philip moved earlier against the British,
possibly at the time of the abdication and early death of Queen Mary to
check French influence in the British kingdom.

There seems three main questions in the 16th century *there*, the fate of
British Protestants, the collusion between the British monarches, the king
of France and the Pope to contain Spanish influence, and the fate of the
independant Dutch provinces.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Orcs eat Hummers."