Re: Lexicons and Langauge Borrowing

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > Well!, having just peeked at the Brithenig Page, I see the name of the
> > country has changed from Principality to Kingdom.
>
> Not quite.  As Andrew says:
>
> # The state has always been known as *Principtad Kemr* which
> # literally means 'The Principality of Cambria', despite the fact
> # that the heads of the state have borne the title of king
> # for over 800 years. During the middle ages Kemr maintained
> # strong but tenuous links with the Byzantine Emperor in
> # Constantinople, as the surviving remnants of the Western
> # and Eastern Roman Empires respectively. Only after the fall of
> # Constantinople to the Turks did the Princes of Kemr address
> # themselves as kings.  But the name *Principtad Kemr* still endures as
> # the official name of the Kingdom of Cambria. (Please do not translate
> # this as 'Principality of Cambria' in the presence of any Comro as
> # being physically corrected often offends!)

Ah, you're looking at what seems to be an older version.  I see:

Brithenig is spoken in the part of Britain known as Rheon Kemr, the
Kingdom of Cambria. The history of the Kingdom began when the
Romance-speaking Britons united together under the leadership of the
semi-legendary king Eirlan I Emreis against the incursions of the Saeson
invaders. They halted the advance so successfully that the southern part
of the island was divided between the Chomro, who speak Brithenig, and the
Saeson, who speak English. One consequence was that the pre-Roman Celtic
language went into a decline from which it never recovered.

found at www.earthlight.co.nz/users/andrew/brithenig/Kemr.html

The text you quote is the one I'm familiar with; but apparently someone
has been fiddling with it in the last two days or so!

Padraic.