Re: Lexicons and Langauge Borrowing

Padraic Brown wrote:

> Well!, having just peeked at the Brithenig Page, I see the name of the
> country has changed from Principality to Kingdom.

Not quite.  As Andrew says:

# The state has always been known as *Principtad Kemr* which
# literally means 'The Principality of Cambria', despite the fact
# that the heads of the state have borne the title of king
# for over 800 years. During the middle ages Kemr maintained
# strong but tenuous links with the Byzantine Emperor in
# Constantinople, as the surviving remnants of the Western
# and Eastern Roman Empires respectively. Only after the fall of
# Constantinople to the Turks did the Princes of Kemr address
# themselves as kings.  But the name *Principtad Kemr* still endures as
# the official name of the Kingdom of Cambria. (Please do not translate
# this as 'Principality of Cambria' in the presence of any Comro as
# being physically corrected often offends!)

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org