Re: Humorous Brithenig translation project.

At 10:30 am -0400 13/10/98, Padraic Brown wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:
>> > Indeed.  Got it from St. Martin's, Kepstow Bridge.
>> Did you know that according to Wordcraft ceapstow is an OE word meaning
>> marketplace?

I did indeed - and that is precisely what Chepstow means.  The area around
Chepstow has long been anglicized.

IIRC the old name was Striguil - but I don't know the etymology of that, or
even if it's Celtic at all.  The modern Welsh name is 'Cas-Gwent', i.e.
Gwent Castle.

>I've intentionally left some place names in English (Kepstow and Kepstow
>Bridge being two of them)

Ray.