Re: Humorous Brithenig translation project.

For this reason I have been pretty cautious in allocating place names.
Many of the ones that we have *here* are English or founded after the
conquest of Wales by the English.  I'm slowly going through all the Welsh
history I can find and building up an idea of how history affects the
evolution of the Kemrese landscape: Roman towns, Welsh-founded towns,
castle-building, Cistercian abbeys, industrialisation, etc.

I have found another leghole in the Brithenig trousers of time as well.
The Kemrese would have not necessarily supported the English in the
Hundred Years Wars against the French, with losses at Agincourt, Crecy and
Poitier.  One result of loss of territory in France would have to the
English deploying on the Kemrese border earlier in history than they did
here.

It is also possible that the Princes of Cambria intentionally supported
the Papacy at Avignon in rivalry with the English allegiance to Rome.

- andrew

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> >> Did you know that according to Wordcraft ceapstow is an OE word meaning
> >> marketplace?
>
> I did indeed - and that is precisely what Chepstow means.  The area around
> Chepstow has long been anglicized.
>
> IIRC the old name was Striguil - but I don't know the etymology of that, or
> even if it's Celtic at all.  The modern Welsh name is 'Cas-Gwent', i.e.
> Gwent Castle.
>
> >I've intentionally left some place names in English (Kepstow and Kepstow
> >Bridge being two of them)
>
> Ray.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz
MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of top soil
and the fact that it rains - Anon.