Re: Webpage changes. (fwd)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> I didn't think there was any Welsh there, unless you mean Brithenig (from
> the Saxon persepective)?  Anyway, I meant only that from the Kernow
> perspective, they can't use "wadher" (go) in that way.  It comes out too
> literal -- the verb "poner" (put) is their verb of choice for such
> situations, and in this instance, 'poni-lo' does the same work for the
> same pay as does 'wath'.  Hence the opportunity for a laugh.

I think they are still the Welsh, even though they speak Romance and not
Celtic.  I tend to avoid calling them that because it is confusing with
the Welsh *here*.  It has been pointed out that Welsh, Walloon, Vlach,
Wlochy are all 'germanic' terms meaning 'them over there with the Roman
language/culture'.

> That could certainly work; and might I say, never a better opportunity to
> introduce yet another element of smutty vocabulary.  Perhaps the time is
> not too far off for a book called "Merdh! The Real Brithenig You Were
> Never Taught at School"

I think I have those titles, in a school library no less.  Although I
think Cach! survives in Brithenig.  Merddin is an accepted first name.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous