Re: Webpage changes. (fwd)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > And utterly confounding to every Kernowman, who have enough trouble with
> > the Mistarista as it stands, who understand this as having just been told
> > to 'rush right on in to every Saxon arse'.  I think we shall have to
> > graciously beg out of that unique opportunity!  After having a good long
> > giggle with respect to certain cultural and idiomatic differences; I think
> > the equivalent expression is "poni-lo al ngulan le cascun Zawzen."  (Like
> > as not with an appropriate gesticulation.)  :-)
> >
> 'To take' in Welsh *there*, like Welsh *here*, is literally translated as
> 'to go with', so this toast literally translates as "take every Englisher
> in the arse".  This suggests a different meaning of 'to take' than is

I didn't think there was any Welsh there, unless you mean Brithenig (from
the Saxon persepective)?  Anyway, I meant only that from the Kernow
perspective, they can't use "wadher" (go) in that way.  It comes out too
literal -- the verb "poner" (put) is their verb of choice for such
situations, and in this instance, 'poni-lo' does the same work for the
same pay as does 'wath'.  Hence the opportunity for a laugh.

> conveyed by 'gweddir cun', now I'm thinking that a better translation
> might be "inghul pab saeson", which would introduce the verb "inghular",
> cognate with French enculer.

That could certainly work; and might I say, never a better opportunity to
introduce yet another element of smutty vocabulary.  Perhaps the time is
not too far off for a book called "Merdh! The Real Brithenig You Were
Never Taught at School"

> Which rude gesture?  I can think of four:
> The bird - one finger erect
> The fingers - two fingers erect, palm inwards, 'victory' reversed.
> ? - gestured fist with other hand clenched in hollow of the elbow.
> The O.K. sign - first finger and thumb joined, other fingers outspread,
> obscene in some cultures.

Gesticulations are very important in everyday speech.  For this, the
Kernow use a closed fist with a slight upward thust, approximately the
same mothion one might use if one were to attempt an uppercut.  Of course,
this natural gesticulation ought not be used in the Publick House during a
toast, as this might incur spilled beer, soaked patrons, bar brawl, etc.
;-)

> the second toast is probably more socially acceptable!

Certainly.

> - andrew.
>
> Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
>
> MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
> accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
> and the fact that it rains.
> 							   - Anonymous

Padraic.