Re: The story about a farmer whose horse ran away.

il di le merchoer (aprils le 22), Jay Bowks yscreus:

> Here's sompin, I'm working on translating
> the following story about a farmer whose
> horse ran away... As you may read below
> my command of French, Italian, and specially
> German, and even my portuguese leaves
> something to be desired...
>
> I'm looking to post on a page the following
> text about the farmer whose horse ran away
> in as many langs as possible to use it for
> comparison...
>
> Conland/Auxlang's included, could some
> of our Esperantist friends volunteer their
> version? How about a Novial98/NPro/Nuovial
> version???

In Kernu:

il marx ke defughi.

dos agrechul avu yn marx ke defughi.  il wecens per addecher-el do li
forit mal ys weneit.  il agrechul li addechi: "ke sab le mboun o le mal a
li?", e dos avu la rechez.  li de le cercam, il marx reweneit, e cosicun
ce yen marcca feros e deck, ke endurant le seu adventur ys inwenev.  denew
reweneit il wecens per addecher-el do li forit boun, perke deis marches.
il agrechul li addechi: "ke sab le mboun o le mal a li?", e dos avu la
rechez.  li de le cercam, il maps le agrechul cest yen lor marcci feros ys
domav, e ys cadhu ce yen lor bino breich rompant.  il wecens per
addecher-el do li forit mal weneit.  il agrechul li addechi: "ke sab le
mboun o le mal a li?", e dos avu la rechez.  il de le cercam ys yendarmi
le rech pery jowckes detragher ys whenont, mays ne de traghuont rhen le
mmab le agrechul, do en li avu yn mbrach rompu.  llarow, ke en sab le
mboun o le mal a li?

And in a somewhat litteral English:

The Horse that Ran Away.

To this farmhand there was a horse who ran away.  The neighbour came to
tell him that it went ill with him [that he was sorry].  The farmhand
said: "who knows the good or the ill in her?"; and he was correct [to him
there was correctness].  The next day, the horse came back, a with him one
wild mare and ten, which he met during his adventure.  Again the neighbour
came to tell him that it went well with him, on account of the horses
[that he was happy at the farmhand's fortune].  The farmhand said: "who
knows the good or the ill in her?; and he was correct.  The next day, the
farmhand's son was at taming one of the wild mares, and he fell, breaking
one of the pair of his arms.  The neighbour came to tell him that it went
ill with him.  The farmhand said: "who knows the good or the ill in her?";
and he was correct.  The next day, the King's soldiers came to take away
the young men, but they didn't take the farmhand's son, for to him there
was the broken arm.  Indeed, who knows the good or the ill in her?

Hope that helps!

[snip]
> In English:
>  The story about a farmer whose horse ran away.
>
> Once there was this farmer
> whose horse ran away. His neighbor
> came over to tell him he felt
> sorry for him, only to be told
> in return: "Who knows what is
> good or bad?" It was true. The
> next day the horse returned,
> bringing with it eleven wild horses
> it had met during its adventurous
> escape. The neighbor came over
> again, this time to congratulate
> the farmer on his good fortune.
> Only to be told once again "Who
> knows what is good or bad? True
> this time too; the next day the
> farmer's son tried to tame one of the
> wild horses and fell off, breaking his
> leg. His neighbor came back again one more
> time to express how bad he felt But for
> the third time all the farmer had to
> say was: "Who knows what is good or bad?"
> And once again the farmer was correct,
> for this time, the king of that land
> had started a war and the following
> day soldiers came by to draft young