Re: CELT: Spoken Conlangs

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> > > p.s. (a) What are the *English* names for Kemr, Kernu, Brithenig, etc.?
> >
> > The English continue to use "Welsh" for the Comro as they have
> > since invading the island, but they have managed to learn to
> > call the country "Cambria".  Things in, of, or from it,
> > including the English-speaking minority, are "Cambrians", or "those
> > bloody Cambrians" more likely.

"Welsh" probably survives, but I tend to avoid it as it means Cymry in our
timeline.  "Those bloody Cambrians" is probably more PC.  "Kemrese" is an
Anglicization of Brithenig "Kemres" from Cambriensis.  Kemres has replaced
*Kemran on the grounds it has a better etymology.

> I think that probably covers it all.  I don't mean to come off all
> pedantic of a sudden, but when speaking of languages, you should
> capitalise the name.  Therefore: "That Gibberish".  ;^)

I thought that was spoken in the Netherlands.

> > I can't even guess about Kernu, but probably something fairly
> > close to "Cornwall" (what is the etymology of the "-wall" part
> > anyway?).

Would you believe OE Wealh, now where have we heard that before.

> > It's extinct.  The Brithenig page,
> > http://www.earthlight.co.nz/users/andrew/brithenig/brithenig.html#kemr
> > refers to it simply as "Old Celtic".

I think you will find a list of known provinces and important placenames
near that reference as well.  I think it has been posted.

> According to Sellar and Yeatman's utterly exhaustive (and famous) history
> of Britain, the Welsh, or Britons "...were compelled to wash themselves of
> the woad, to learn Latin, become RC, and act, in every respect, Comro;
> thus ceasing to be Welsh or Briton. This was a Good Thing as the Comro
> ceased to all divided in three parts..."

"1066 and all that" rewritten!  My, my.

> > > And to what is the English word _Welsh_
> > > applied?
> >
> > Caws bobi; the Comro; refusing to pay one's just debts.

There a pub full of Kemrese a universe away who want to have words with
you about that!

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...