CELT-CHAT: Waving the flag

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> > (you should have read the fun we had talking about a flag for
> > the Kemrese nation!)
>
> So we would have, if you had put it on the list and tagged it
> CELT.  Has anybody archived all this Brithenig stuff?  If so,
> I at least would be very interested in seeing it.

Most, but not all, of the Brithenig stuff has been kept in a 'Brithenig'
mailbox on the computer that I use for email.  Everything I mailed to me
related to this language ends up there.  The only things I delete are one
line replies or stuff I don't consider developes a line of argument under
investigation.  This month we had the survival of the S-perfective in
Romance languages, how to say 'You're welcome' (Sa es rhen), and a
review of the nominalization of adjectives.  They also put up with my
announcement of the death of my brother to bowel cancer (what nice
people!)  Past debates on the role of religion and history in Kemr was
lively.  Perhaps this is the reason I started a distribution list for
Brithenig, it has different aims than the Conlang list.  People who want
to sit in can contact me and I will enlarge the list.  I admit there is a
lot of overlap with what I am doing and this list.

As for the unresolved Kemrese flag Padraic has put up a discription of it.
I think that flag roams the Cambrian countryside and parents use it for
frightening children with.  The Kemrese flag as I currently envisage it is
Ill Dragun Rhys.  I have reached a dead end at the moment trying to find a
suitable design for a dragon that combines romanitas (east or west) with
celticitas.  Suggestions welcome.  One book of flags I researched
mentioned an unofficial flag used by the Anglican(?) church in Wales in
the early part of this century: a black cross on a gold field, the colours
of the Bishop of S. David's in his role as Baron of Dewisland.  I'm
tempted to use those colours to replace the green and white of Y Ddraig
Goch (reputedly Tudor colours).  Comments welcome (but please don't
frighten me, Padraic can do that without trying!)

Next letter!

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...