Re: CELT: Spoken Conlangs

And Rosta wrote:

> p.s. (a) What are the *English* names for Kemr, Kernu, Brithenig, etc.?

The English continue to use "Welsh" for the Comro as they have
since invading the island, but they have managed to learn to
call the country "Cambria".  Things in, of, or from it,
including the English-speaking minority, are "Cambrians", or "those
bloody Cambrians" more likely.

I suspect the language is called "Britannic" by the learned, and "that
gibberish" by the vulgar.

I can't even guess about Kernu, but probably something fairly
close to "Cornwall" (what is the etymology of the "-wall" part
anyway?).

> (b) Could someone remind me what has happened to Welsh in Kemr?

It's extinct.  The Brithenig page,
http://www.earthlight.co.nz/users/andrew/brithenig/brithenig.html#kemr
refers to it simply as "Old Celtic".

> But is there a country/province of Wales?

Almost certainly not.  Speaking without authority, I wouldn't
be surprised if the historic Celtic names of the Welsh kingdoms
prevail.

> And to what is the English word _Welsh_
> applied?

Caws bobi; the Comro; refusing to pay one's just debts.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
                Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)