Re: "Brithenig"; stress again

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> The point is that although Andrew's own practice isn't consistent,
> he has now declared penultimate stress to be the One True Way, using
> the Web page.

NO!  I feel the need for strong words here because that revision of the
webpage has been up for several months now.  I was surprised that you
looked at it some time ago and didn't find that reference to stress.  I
have nearly completed a revision of the webpage that will change that
description to say that Brithenig places stress on the ultima.  It should
be up as soon as we have cleared out the bugs on the new page listing
names and I have completed updating the lexicon to include words that have
been publically announced.

Asseth ia!

That was cathartic.  I feel better now.  As far as I know no new material
has been put up yet, unless my flatmate snucked it passed after I had gone
to bed.  I think that Brithenig is pronounced in Brithenig as /brITE'nig/,
I have no problems with pronouncing Kemr as /'kemEr/ because it is a
vowel-insertion, and not originally part of the word.  It's probably worth
looking at how French handles word final syllable clusters ending in r#.
Ray, you have first hand knowledge of this, can I ask you to advise us?

Still, would somebody please explain tense and lax.  It is not a strong
point for me, common on Conlang, and may mean further revisions.  It can
only give us a better understanding of how Brithenig works.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith					<hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous