Re: Hello!

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Geoff Eddy wrote:
>
> An interesting (and ever so lovely sounding) idea, but perhaps a wee bit
> too Celtic for our Romance lang.  I think using using the compound past
> would be more Romance.  [Spanish and I think Italian do this with
> certain verbs.  Otherwise, Spanish uses 'acabar', to just finish, for
> this sort of construction.  Kernu, when not using some sort of
> circumlocution, uses a compound form: eo avu ystu dormu, I've just been
> sleeping".]

Brithenig have esser syrs, to be about to, but that is the only peripheral
tense that I adopted from Celtic.  I think Brithenig is similar to Kernu:
eo ai sulfent ddorfid, I have just slept.

> I think it's been Decided at Boardroom Level that the Q-Celtic languages
> in the Brithenig universe (the various Gaelics) shall remain unconquered,
> linguistically speaking; but there are a number of Irish who, having left
> their Bogs ;^)  have immigrated to Kemr.  There has been some minimal
> speculation respecting their various dialects/patoises/whatever of
> _Brithenig_.  There would certainly be a lot of room for someone to move
> into that manor.  The (probably) working poor Irish of various Cambrian
> cities would probably form Irish communities, keeping their own tongue,
> while using Brithenig After a Fashion while outside.  (Like in the US.)
> Their Brithenig would probably be heavily influenced by Gaelic, and if
> they remain poor and somewhat isolated in their communities, a new dialect
> of Brithenig could form and get passed on to succeeding generations.

On the isle of Man I think they speak Gaelic written in a Brithenig
orthography.  In northern Kemr, the influx of immigrant Irish created a
new dialect of Brithenig influenced by Irish pronunciation, known as
Yscaws (Scouse).  It's most common in the Kemrese equivalent of Liverpool,
north of Aberddui.

I would like to hear more about Liotan.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous