Re: "Brithenig"; stress again

Rhaifun Bryn yscrifef:

> The stress [brI'TenIg] would follow modern Welsh practice (I don't think
> English can used as a guide).

No, no, vice versa.  The English say "Britannic" as they say "Cambriese",
using Latinized versions of the native words.

> But at 11:49 27/4/98, John Cowan wrote:
> >Andrew Fferreir yscrifef:
> >
> >> I usually pronounce it ['brIthenIg], not sure if that's the correct stress
> >> though.
> >
> >Well, now that you've changed the Web page, there is no question
> >what the stress is:
>
> Now I'm really confused   :=(

The point is that although Andrew's own practice isn't consistent,
he has now declared penultimate stress to be the One True Way, using
the Web page.

> Raifun ( [r@I'vun] or ['raIvUn] )

Rhaifun, I think ['hrai vUn]

--
		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)