Re: Stress accent?

Padrig Brown yscrifef:

> Eh!?  I think I've missed rather a lot.  Can someone please elucidate for
> me what sort of Welsh stress is being discussed.

The issue is where the (Romance) stress accent normally falls in
Brithenig.  I tend to put it on the penultimate syllable, but
historically it was on the ultima (with the loss of the Latin
ultima).  This would represent an "Old Brithenig Stress Shift"
parallel to the Welsh one.

> I tend to agree with John about the -r and -f.  When I read anything in
> Brithenig, I tend to pronounce the Rs and Fs; for example, I read yscrifef
> as something like _@ 'scri vev_ and cantar as _can 'tar_ (with a short
> trill).  Ke ystran!

And I pronounce them [Is 'kri vE] and ['kan t@].  Note that in
Brithenig (like Portuguese) it's a, not y, that becomes schwa when
unstressed.

--
		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)