Re: Stress accent?

In di le luns, Jowan yscreus:

> Andrew Ferreir yscrifef:
>
> > I'm willing to keep Brithenig's stress medieval if people are agreeable to
> > it.  The Welsh stressed schwa is too much of a chimera that I want to
> > tackle it!  I'll add it to the must-edit list.
>
> Perhaps because I speak a rhotic dialect of English, I have trouble
> with losing the final "-r" on verb infinitives if the stress still falls
> on that syllable.  Likewise with final silent "-f"; how did it
> become silent under stress?  Seems strange to me.

Eh!?  I think I've missed rather a lot.  Can someone please elucidate for
me what sort of Welsh stress is being discussed.

I tend to agree with John about the -r and -f.  When I read anything in
Brithenig, I tend to pronounce the Rs and Fs; for example, I read yscrifef
as something like _@ 'scri vev_ and cantar as _can 'tar_ (with a short
trill).  Ke ystran!

> --
> John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan@ccil.org
> 	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
> 	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
> 		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)

Padrig.