Re: A certain town in Kemr...

Andrew yscrifef:

> OBrithenig had a rule uXa#->oX0 when u is short, so I would
> accept iost; another OB rule g->y/r_, so gurges->gury

"iost" and "gury" it is.

> finally latin
> syllabic v remains a semi-vowel in Brithenig so caverna would become
> cawern, in NBrithenig cawrn or coern.

I want to argue that although it was "cawern" in OB, that it was
remodeled under English influence in NB, accounting for the irregular
form.  This is analogous to the way "altus" became "hault" in Old French
(NF "haut", where "h" is silent but blocks liaison), picking up
the initial "h" from Germanic.

But if you don't like this argument, I prefer "cawrn".
(In RL, of course, I thought of "cawern" about an hour after
I had posted.)

I also note a grammatical error on my part:  "rhys" follows a
feminine noun and should be "rys".

So we have two alternatives for the full name of PluifairLB:

Pluifairllagunblancoryllentiostillrhebiddgurypluitysiliocafurnrys

or

Pluifairllagunblancoryllentiostillrhebiddgurypluitysiliocawrnrys

Rhaifun mentioned on Conlang that the lack of mutation in "-tysilio-"
might have been an error (by a Saeson) when the name was coined
that got entrenched, BTW.

--
		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)