Re: Welcome (was: Negative constructions)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> A little way to go then to catch up with Welsh: Ifan, Ieuan, Ioan, Sio^n.
>
> The first two are "proper Welsh" in that they developed from the forms
> taken into ancient British in the Roman period (<-- *iwanne- <-- ioanne- ).
> The third is a a later, learned form used in the translation of the
> scriptures; and the last is the borrowing, like English 'John', from Norman
> French.

I'll toss in a Iewan as well.  I should toss in Ifan, but I try to avoid
/w/->/v/.  Ioan is learned, Gion is borrowed the same way as Sio^n, it is
also written with a teithith over the o.
> > One is a
> >modern borrowing from Saesonig but it might help from confusing John with
> >John!
>
> But which is which?

I have been heroically resisting it until now but 'Ioan Cowan' keeps on
coming to mind, or should that be Iewan Cowan, John has explained his
surname on Conlang, but I can't remember his correct pronunciation off
hand.

That means we have two Iewan/Ioan/Gion (take your pick guys!), Andrew,
Padrig, Pedr and Rhaifun (I admit I made that last one off the cuff,
derived from Raimundus, unless we make it Rhefun(n)).

Hang on, let me post the list that I know of so far:

Adda	Adam
Andrew	Andrew
Antoin	Antony
Arthur	Arthur
Awstin	Augustine, Austin
Bartholemew	B.
Buddeg	Boudicea, Victoria
Cadag	Cadog
Caraethag	Caradog
Carol	Charles
Catren	Catherine
Cristoffer	Christopher
Costentin	Constantine
Cynedd	Kenneth
Dewi	David
Drystin	Tristan
Edwar	Edward
Elen	Helen
Emreis	Ambrose
Enrhig	Henry
Erchyl	Hercules
Garfan	German
Geory	George
Gereint	Gereint, Gerontius
Gian	Jane
Gianeth	Janet
Gion	John
Gioffri	Geoffry
Girallt	Gerald
Gregor	Gregory
Greid	Grace
Gwallter	Walter
Gwilim	William
Gwrthiern	Vortigern
Hyw	Hugh, Hugo
Iago	James, Jacob
Ieroni	Jerome, Hieronymus
Iewan	John
Ioan	John
Iogos	Joyce
Iosep	Joseph
Iseullt	Isold
Keswallon	Caswallon, Casivallaunus
Llawreint	Laurance
Luc	Luke
Lluid	Lloyd
Madag	Madog
Mair, Mari	Mary
Mallt	Maud, Matilda
Marc	Mark
Maryared	Margaret
Mathew	Matthew
Merddin	Merlin
Mewrig	Maurice
Migael	Michael
Nigol	Nicholas
Padrig	Patrick
Pawl	Paul
Pedr	Peter
Philip	P.
Rhaifun	Raymond
Rheinallt	Reginald
Rhigiar	Richard
Rhoberth	Robert
Rhoerig	Roderick
Timothew	Timothy
Tomos	Thomas
Ysteffan	Stephan

Sort of a mishmash of Latinate names and other borrowings.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...