Re: Mormonides

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> Forgive what? his not knowing about Mormans' aversion to coffee (I like
> mine strong, bitter & black & am thankful I'm not a Mormon everytime I
> drink it ;-) or his offering them coffee?  Anyway, nothing to forgive as
> far as I can see.

Argh! Tea drinker alert!  Tea drinker alert!  I spent all my life avoiding
instant coffee until I discovered perculated coffee.  With milk for me
please!

> You have to go hunting for them in the UK if you want to such things.  At
> least the JWs save you effort & come to your door as - very occasionally in
> the UK - Mormons do, always in pairs as far as I can tell.

I used to prefer Mormons on my doorstep, more polite and respectful and
they didn't try to put you on a guilt-trip for turning them away like
Jehovah's Witnesses do.  But appearantly their President has announced
that the apocalypse is at hand and we are in for a seven year tribulation
of hard-sell evangelism.  Beware the Men in Black who come on bikes, I was
accosted three times last year but they have been quiet since.

> >I will be hosting the Chief of the British Druid Order at my humble home in
> >the hills this fall.
> >I've been telling him about Brithenig, and his
> >curiosity is beginning to bubble.  Who knows?  Solstice rites in Brithenig!

Keep working on him.  Solstice rites should be in the language of Angels.
(Andrew ducks.)  New correspondants are always welcome.

> >For those of us, christian or pagan, who haven't kicked the prayer habit
> >yet, there is a wonderful little book by Caitlin Matthews called Celtic
> >Devotional.  It can be used by anyone for whom the Divine is real.

I think I may have heard of it.  I'll put it on my hitlist.

> >Speaking of which, would someone venture a translation into Brithenig of
> >this little gem?

Let me get back to you on that one.

Suggestions for TYB are welcome.  Although it can only be an attentive
version.

I think I have seen the Alternative History Peter referred to, but I don't
have the site reference.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...