Re: Arthur

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> >Mui, a scholar!?  I would be the first to deny it.  I love to read and
> >research and that is what I have done.
>
> Yep - but you've applied your research in a thorough & consistent way, it
> seems to me.  That's what I meant.

Ah, I'm forgetting that scholarliness does not equate to success or
genius, neither of which I claim, but serious and consistand application,
that I'm proud of.  When I was studying Henryson in a Medieval English
paper my class was told about one British woman who has made herself an
independant expert on this Scottish poet simply because she has the
ability and the resources to do so.  That's a role model to aspire to.

> A Cambriese rite could certainly have maintained itself in the middle ages;
> local rites, e.g. the Sarum rite in England, were not uncommon.  It was the
> Reformation which changed things; the Catholic Church, feeling threatened,
> reformed its liturgy but felt impelled to establish the Tridentine rite
> universally in the Western Church.  It would've been remarkable if the
> Cambriese rite resisted that, even with royal patronage.  There most likely
> reason for it survive would seem to me if (a) it did receive royal
> patronage, (b) the Cambriese Church was sort of isolated from the rest of
> the western Church by a Protestant England and (c) it was considered that
> allowing the Chomro to retain their older rite was the best way of
> preventing further Protestant inroads in Britain.  I haven't read your
> 'history' yet - must do so - so I don't know how such a scenario fits with
> it.

I will think about this.  There is also the Ambrosian Rite which is/was
used in Milan.  I don't know if it still is.  The Uniate churches (Eastern
Churches in communion with Rome) continue to preserve their own practices.
In some cases Uniate parishes in America have left the Catholic church and
joined Orthodox churches when the local hierarchy put pressure on the
differences of practice, especially priestly celebacy which is not
enforced in Orthodox and Uniate churches (including Cambriese Uniates).

> Written in Net English                 Humor not marked
> No intentional misreprsentation of another's statements
> No intentional ad_hominem remarks
>
> Gerasko d'aei polla didaskomenos (SOLON)

The Greek is SOLON, I know about Net English, and where 'Humour not
marked' comes from, but I'm still trying to work out the origin of the
middle two lines.

On another issue, I am considering restoring a negative construction _rhen
di_ to Brithenig, based on the Welsh preposition "mo", when a negative
verb is followed by an object.  I dropped it out of the language to avoid
confusion with the Celtic genitive, and the I could never figure out if it
should be used with predicates as well as object nouns.  Your thoughts?

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...