Re: Mormonides

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> >I've been telling him about Brithenig, and his
> >curiosity is beginning to bubble.  Who knows?  Solstice rites in Brithenig!
>
> Or an America Celticlang.  What happened to the followers of the Welsh
> Prince Madog who according to legend sailed westward to America sometime I
> think in the (late) middle ages?  (Must check the date!)  Some maintain
> that one of native American peoples - the Mandans?? - took a lot of Welsh
> into their language.  But mightn't there have survived a Celticized
> American people in an alternative history  ;-)

After wandering the briny main for 350 years or so, and after surviving
countless adventures on islands where only enchanted women live, islands
that turned out to be sea monsters, mermaid reefs and the like,
encountering Romans in Minnesota, Phoenicians in Brasil [BTW, is it not
curious that Brasil is an Irish name?...perhaps St. Brendan took a side
trip to the South?], Egyptians in Brasil, Chinese in Peru and Polynesians
all along the West Coast; they landed in Argentina, where to this very
day, if one knows Welsh, one can get along in a smashing fashion in such
places as the Camwy Valley & Cwm Hyfryd.

I recall reading on usenet somewhere that some fellow was trying to
construct an AH in which a Celtic "empire" or some such got going here
along the hinter shores.  It's been said that the ancient Celts and the
Indians may have gotten along well, due to spiritual and cultural
similarities.

> >Speaking of which, would someone venture a translation into Brithenig of
> >this little gem?
> >
> >"O Greatness hear, o Brightness hark, leave us not little nor yet dark."
>
> Alas, I don't have a Brithenig dictionary.  Andrew?

I'm sure mine is too short and not very up to date, yet.

> Heddwch,
> Ray.

Padraic.