Re: [conculture] Rasism and xenophoby

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>
>
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > > Many Chomro are concerned about the number of English speakers in their
> > > country.  There have always been two or three communities in Cambria where
> >
> > Bloody Saxons...mumble mumble.
> >
> I was wondering when you were going to reply.

:-)

> Found the details.  The English speaking communities of Glew, Coron,
> Gwrigon and Sorbaduns are as old as Kemrese history itself.  No doubt only
> a handful of words from their unique dialect has survived the flood of
> English immigration over the last 200 years or so.  Not that most comroig
> chauvinists take note.

Of course, Sorbadun (and a whole host of north-eastern towns of Duneint)
are also historically subject to the "Comrow Creepies": the incessent and
relentless southward crawl of (Pagusian) Brithenig into the province since
the fifteenth century or so.  Poor Kernow nationalists don't know who to
attack first: the Dread Saxon or the Insidious "Comrow".  (Countrymen
indeed!)

As it stands, the native dialect of eastern Duneint only survives in a few
out of the way places, spoken by a few thousands.

Also, could you tell which city *here* Gwrgion is?  The Page lists it as
at the headwaters of the Sefern; but the closest large town I can find is
Wroxeter/Wiroconea, a little ways down stream and no where near the
border.

> > Lies!  Government Propaganda!  The Comro shall rise up and drive the
> > bloody Saxon from their shores!  Then it'll be up the long ladder and hi
> > for the good old days!!
> >
> Now that's a phrase I must get around to translating.

Which?  The Chomrow shall rise up... or Up the long ladder... ? ;)  Of
course, the whole thing is "Up the long ladder and down the short rope."
*Here*, in Ireland, followed by "to Hell with King Billy and God bless the
Pope.  If that doesn't do we'll tear im in two, and send im to Hell with
his red, white and blue!"

Ah, what _would_ we do without rampant nationalism? ;)

> > Bah.  Who can worry about a few blacks or Maori when the Saxon lovers up
> > in Caerleon coddle to the Foreigner?
> >
> The fact that English speaking blacks outnumber the Brithenig speaking
> ones (Two bigotries for the price of one!)  Also Castreleon itself has
> several mosques, temples, a gurdwara, and curry restaurants while the
> number of churches is declining....

Well, they're ok English, aren't they!  It's the sneaky Saxon you have to
watch out for.  Nuffin wrong with a mosque.  Nor the other wossname.  Nor
anything wrong with curry and chips; but the paella of Mama Maria's in
Esca's High Street will do that one better!  Besides, we get enough church
at Christmas and Easter and before the Races (the three holiest feasts of
the year!); and besides, it's rugby on the tele at the pub and the lads is
waitin.  Gotta go, luv... ;D

Anyway, I do have to go.  We've got to be in Almost-Canada, New York by
ten tomorrow for my mum's sister's funeral.  So I'll be back Sunday.

Padraic.