Re: [conculture] Rasism and xenophoby

From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Also, could you tell which city *here* Gwrgion is?  The Page lists it as
> at the headwaters of the Sefern; but the closest large town I can find is
> Wroxeter/Wiroconea, a little ways down stream and no where near the
> border.

The name Gwrigon is based on Viriconium, Wroxeter *here*.  I found a
reference in the Age of Arthur to a hill in the town called the Wreken, a
remnant of the old latin name.  It influenced the modern pronunciation.
The part of Ill Paes is in has seen its fair share of conflicts.  The old
town is noted for its heavy fortications.

> Ah, what _would_ we do without rampant nationalism? ;)

Live happy and meaningful lives?

> Well, they're ok English, aren't they!  It's the sneaky Saxon you have to
> watch out for.  Nuffin wrong with a mosque.  Nor the other wossname.  Nor
> anything wrong with curry and chips; but the paella of Mama Maria's in
> Esca's High Street will do that one better!  Besides, we get enough church
> at Christmas and Easter and before the Races (the three holiest feasts of
> the year!); and besides, it's rugby on the tele at the pub and the lads is
> waitin.  Gotta go, luv... ;D

Aah.

> Anyway, I do have to go.  We've got to be in Almost-Canada, New York by
> ten tomorrow for my mum's sister's funeral.  So I'll be back Sunday.

Urath per nu agur e a lla ur di nustr morth.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Orcs eat Hummers."
			- Old Orc Saying.