Re: [conculture] Rasism and xenophoby

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> From: Andrew Smith <hobbit@mail.earthlight.co.nz>
>
> On Sat, 29 May 1999, Carlos Thompson wrote:
>
> > How does rasism affect your concultures?
> >
> Many Chomro are concerned about the number of English speakers in their
> country.  There have always been two or three communities in Cambria where

Bloody Saxons...mumble mumble.

> the English population outnumbered the Chomro, despite the fact they have
> always Kemrese patriots.  But for nearly two hundred years Cambria has had
> an open border with England, and not all the visitors have gone home
> again.  This causes some resentment among the Chomro which has lead to
> violence.  Not all Kemrese citizens support such activity, which is seen
> as caused by an ultra-nationalist minority.  Still the concern that their

Lies!  Government Propaganda!  The Comro shall rise up and drive the
bloody Saxon from their shores!  Then it'll be up the long ladder and hi
for the good old days!!

> language and culture is under threat from English is an underlying fear.
>
> At this stage it is unknown if the Kemrese are prejudiced towards race.

Bah.  Who can worry about a few blacks or Maori when the Saxon lovers up
in Caerleon coddle to the Foreigner?

> Apart from the English, the Irish and the Spanish immigrant minorities
> remain small.

And the Gypsies.  Don't forget the Gypsies!

And of course, not all the English are Bloody Saxons either.  There is the
interesting case of the Cumrees, who live just across the border to the
far north, who are "racially" or culturally descended from the same
Britons as the Kemrese are, but they now speak the Cumbrian dialect of
English (curiously influenced by Cumbrian Cetlic and northern forms of
Brithenig). The hard and fast definitions used by various groups
(nationalist parties, and the like) break down a bit here and give pause
to think.

:-D  Padraic.