Re: Bother

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> I knew there was something else I wanted to add to my last message.
>
> A correspondent asked me about the use of prepositions with infinitives,
> which is not covered in the Brithenig grammar beyond the preposition 'a',
> to, at.  The example he gave me was 'He blamed me for playing there'.  The
> translation I prefer would be 'Ys mi flasffuifaf per iogar ll+a', rather
> than *'Ys mi flasffuifaf (a) iogar ll+a', but I wonder how other romance
> languages handle this construction.

I think you're right in using per here.  I forgot the word for blame in
Spanish, but I think the overall structure would be: El me [blamed] para
jugar alli.  Of course our native speakers can correct and ammend as
needfull.  So far we seem to have one vote for para (me) and one for de
(Christophe).  Though I wonder if Spanish couldn't use de here as well.

I assume flasffuifar is cognate with blaspheme?

Padraic.