Re: Lexicons and Langauge Borrowing

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > Well!, having just peeked at the Brithenig Page, I see the name of the
> > country has changed from Principality to Kingdom.  Funny the way those
> > things happen.  Aha!  Something fishy is indeed going on here, as the
> > previous version of the Page and the new differ.  Don't let your
> > Constructed Government do this to you!  Contact your Member of Parliament
> > now!
> >
> The monarchy's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered
> into.

Ah ... now we see the outmoded autocratical tendencies inherent in the
system!

> So there!

Come see the outmoded autocratical tendencies inherent in the system!
Help help!  I'm being repr

[A message from the Royal Cambrian Mounted Police, Social Deviants and
Miscreants Bureau ... The poster of the preceeding message has been
extended an invitation by His Britannic Majesty Gereint XIII to be a
Guest of the Crown; and subequently will be unable to finish this message.
Therefore, a loyal Crown appointed poster will serve to finish this
message.  God save the King, etc.]

> I very good at procrastinating
> (Must...finish...HTML....update...tomorrow!)  The latest one hasn't
> completely been tidied up and already another lexicon update is necessary.
> No peace this side of thermodynamics I'm afraid.  Which is why no
> announcement was made.  Before I go back to putting off procrastinating
> until tomorrow, there are some translations and things I want to
> contribute before I get too far behind.

Hey, why put off til tomorrow what you can put off til the day after?

> Film titles:

[snip]
> LA VITA E BELLA
> (Lla wid es bel)  I would be inclined to have subtitle than a translation.

That's certainly a smart idea for foreign film titles.

> SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
> Salwar ill Sollteir Ryan: To Save the Soldier Ryan.
>
> SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
> Shakespeare in Afur.
> I think.  Shakespeare in Amur (Romantic love), might be more accurate.
> I'm not sure if I should have left out the article or not.

I thought there was a distinction here between romantic love and, well,
rut.

Loyally,
Padraic.