Re: @ -- Words not in English.

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Orjan Johansen wrote:

> I wonder how many other languages have a word for "mørketid", the time of
> year when the sun doesn't rise...

Obviously English doesn't; but I'm sure that any people who live that far
north or south have some kind of words to describe that phenomenon.  And,
one would assume, the time of year when the Sun doesn't set properly.
[Bloody weather!]

I would bet the Tolte of Antarctica [I think this is Brad Coon's project?]
have these concepts as well.

> There is the word "folkekonge" which denotes a king who is popular, and
> partly because he behaves like a common man.  The previous king, Olav V,
> especially.  See (briefly) the Soc.culture.nordic Drinking Game at
> <URL:http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/faq16.html#1.6>, item 5.

(US)Americans generally call this phenomenon "Queen Elizabeth", who for
the larger part is immensely popular here.

The political structure of Kernow being what it is, the regional kings
have little else to do but play the ponies and attend rugby matches
(unless thay have jobs); with the usual commiserating with the lads at the
pub afterwards.  Kings of this sort are sometimes refered to as 'rech le
poboel' a folkking, if you will, or "king of the common people".

> Greetings, the ever too nationalistic,
> Ørjan.
>
> --
> Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:37:19 -0600
>  - Pigs observed in the sky above Philadelphia
>  - Underworld weather forecast:  Excellent for skating

Padraic.