Re: @ -- Words not in English.

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> Sounds exactly like the Welsh word "hiraeth".  This is derived from 'hir' =
> long.  But not only does it convey the idea of "longing", "looking
> forward", but also the idea of "nostalgia", "missing something now lost".
> It's what an ex-patriate may feel for her/his homeland, for example - a
> feeling of loss mixed with the hope of return.

Now I wondering how to translate "hiraeth" into Brithenig.  My pocket
Welsh dictionary says 'hir' is an adjective, and I think 'aeth' is a
abstract ending, although there is a word 'aeth'= pain.  Possibly
Brithenig could use "Llongdydd" from longitudinem to mean hiraeth, or "ill
desir" might have a different semantic meaning to other Romance languages.

The closest that Brithenig comes to "hwyl" is ffelictad.  While it
literally means 'happiness' it must have deeper meaning than the English
word.  'Moving of spirit', perhaps?

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
                                                           - Anonymous