Re: CELT: Caws pobi (was: Spoken Conlangs)

Sorry this didn't get through before --

>With tasty recipe Sally gifted us thus:
>
>How to make Teonaht Caws Pobi:  hman carajo forpporib ("roasted
>bread and cheese")
>
>Take brown bread (hman bena).
>
>Put pungeant cheese (cara kanatel) on it;  sharp cheddar good, gruyere
>better.  Teonaht borifyin even better, but not readily available.
>
>roast or toast them both until cheese melted and bread crisp.
>
>Put a biteful mustard (hardala kanatel) on it.
>
>Put honey (meluo) on it.

It is definitely a taste the mouth doesn't quickly forget!  My palatte
doesn't necessarily agree with honey and mustard in the same bite, but it
was quite good all the same!  The Kernu for this would be:

Pera facher le ngeis tostu, deteneras ty del ndeu mbans mbrun,
to make grilled cheese thou'll take down some of thy brown bread,

e'l ndeu ngeis nachut le mblu mboun, e del sals e del ngwer moustardh,
& some of thy best sharp cheese, & some salt and true mustard,

e del nduls melys.  Serab ty le mbans e le ngeis.
& some sweet honey.  Thou'll saw the bread and cheese.

Tostab ty le mban in to fhoern sor yn yckni de medh o in'n sartau.
Thou'll toast the bread in thy oven over a middle fire or on a pan.

E cant saat retostu, dol mban sorponurast ty le ngeis e tosatab ty ys
dhew combossus.
And when she's toasty, to the bread thou'll put over the cheese and
thou'll toast
the two together.

Cant il keis ys refonnatoer, ty los traghurast-els del nyckni e dol ngeis

When the cheese is melted a bit, thou'll take em off the fire and to the
cheese

sorponurast ty del sals, del ngwer moustardh e del nduls melys sorr mban
al ndeu ngust.
thou'll put over some salt, true mustard and honey over the bread to thy
desire.

(From St. Perran's University Press's "Concise Tabulation of the Kernu
Grammar")

The use of the future tense in place of the imperative is curious and
restricted to recipes (of any sort).  The "true" in true mustard means
that the mustard should be prepared with must (hence the name _must_ard)
along with the desired seed type and other spices.

>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Sally Caves
>scaves@frontiernet.net
>
>            Mr. Book:  "Shut it down!!"
>                            _Dark City_
>
>        niffodyr tweluanrem letteuim an
>      "The gods have retractable claws"
>                   The Gospel of Bastet
>       (from "Ketamine," F&SF Mar 1995)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]