[conculture] Re: New data point for Brithenig time line

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
>
> Andrew Smith wrote:
>
> > Stratford-upon-Avon lies on the bordermarches
> > between Kemr and England, so I can't say at this point whether Bardd lla
> > Afon existed as a playwright - perhaps he was a soldier on the border.
>
> Humph.  I think he existed, and went to London --- but he was probably
> bilingual, like most borderers.

Which Afon?  I know of at least three in Kernow alone.  One parrallels the
border with England and the other makes for the border with Ill Paes.  And
why couldn't he have been a soldier on the march?  Good for the creative
humours, is soldiering.

There is a Tremmelpila (spear shaker) mentioned in later Arthurian works
as one of the Greater Bards; but this is likely due to accretion, since
lots of famous (and modern) Bards are mentioned in recent versions of
Arthurian legend.

> > Even if he did exist, the Folio would have been different because of the
> > changes in the timeline.
>
> AFAIK only _Henry VIII_ disappears from the canon, and it's a marginal
> play anyway --- Shakespeare probably wrote only part of it, or
> perhaps heavily revised someone else's play.  There
> is no reason why his company shouldn't have acquired James II/VI
> (James I *here*) as its patron after his coronation.
>
> Of course the Elizabethan Age becomes the Jacobian Age.

Which reminds me to ask: Who were the kings and or queens of England and
Kemr around 1590 - 1610; and around 1850 - 1860.  I think I remember
hearing bandied about that some gal named Victoria was queen of England in
the latter period, but I am now unsure.  English history was never my
cup of tea; I can keep track of the two Memorable Dates and the eight
memorable kings and that's about it.

Padraic.