Re: Valentine's Day Translations

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:

> I think the correct Brithenig is "eo ti af" (I thee love).

That's close to how I would say it: "eo dy af".  Eo is one of those words
that causes soft mutations on following words.  Brithenig also uses
disjunctive pronouns in the same way as French: "eo dy af tui", I _love_
you.

Sorry about this late reply, I was away for ten days.  I still haven't
started on a 'reality' translation yet.

On another topic I seem to remember Berlitz in one of his books on
language mentioning that Spanish ojala was derived from Arabic Wa Allah (O
God!)

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

Difference in opinions hath cost many millions of lives: for instance,
whether flesh be bread, or bread be flesh; whether the juice of a certain
berry be blood or wine; whether whistling be a vice or a virtue; whether
it be better to kiss a post or throw it on the fire..., with many more.
                                - Jonathan Swift; Gulliver's Travels.