Re: Valentine's Day Translations

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Christophe Grandsire wrote:

> At 21:02 10/02/99 -0500, Nik Taylor escrius:
> >In honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd ask for a translation of "I
> >love you".  Natlangs I know of (I received most of these in an e-mail,
> >so if they're wrong, please inform me):
> >
> >French: Je T'aime
>

>         One of the most beautiful expression to say "I love you", don't
> you think so? :)

Mais oui!  Can't one also say: "Moi, je t'aime toi" or similar?  Or is
that too many pronouns?

>         In Reman, there is a verb emri: to love, but the expression T'emu is a
> little bit too colloquial. To say "I love you" in a romantic way, you'd use
> the expression:
>
> Degu i` kor a ti: I give you my ("the") heart, or even more romantically:
> Ufregu i` kor ad'i` purte dy ti: I offer my ("the") heart to your purity.
>
> (a, e, i, o and u are pronounced as in Spanish, y is the French u and the
> grave accent over the article i` is just an orthographic use).

I think the correct Brithenig is "eo ti af" (I thee love).  Kernu doesn't
use amar for this kind of love, preferring carer, so one must say "eo ti
caru".  "eo te amu" can be used when addressing the deity.

I _suppose_ if a Briton were to get all mushy, one could say "henny teva
tresure, ay il meu cordes" (in your keeping is my heart).

On the other, less soppy hand, there is the famous triad:

dol nomen ay trew ys dev carer: le seu ncan, le seu ndeue, la seva
ngwenne.
For a man there are three things he ought to love: his hound, his god, his
wife.

Padraic.