Re: Denarii (was: Celtic months)

At 4:29 pm -0500 31/1/99, John Cowan wrote:
>Andrew Smith scripsit:
>
>> One of my personal language favourites was finding that the word for pound
>> in Dutch now also means half-a-kilo in metrics.
>
>Ditto in French and German, but not Italian, where it means 1/3 kg.
>(Apparently the local pound in Italy, or parts thereof, was rather
>smaller than elsewhere.)

I knew the French & German pound was half a kilo, but hadn't come across
the Italian pound before.  I guess that while the Dutch, Germans & French
presumably were using the pounds similar to the current Brit & American 16
ounce avoirdupois pound before metrication, the Italians still held fast to
the 12 ounce pound of their Roman forebears.  (Kilo is approx 35.27 ounces)

Ray.