Re: Submitted for your approval...

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the subscription address for Celticonlang is?  I
> have not attempted to return to that list since returning to my home
> address.  Over Christmas I have been receiving email from a Celtic
> Conlanger and I would like to suggest that list to him.
>
> BTW Padraic I am not receiving mail from smiff@es.co.nz at the moment.  It
> is my mother's address that I was using temporarily while I was away from
> this address which belongs to my mother.  While she understands that I am
> a conlanger, she has no interest in the field herself.

Sorry, I can only find the Celticonlang list address:
address.  Also, appologies to your mum...I neglected to remove her address
from the Sessiwn when you returned home.  But the problem has now been
corrected.

By the way, excellent translating work!

> > Eo ai yn afan noig subr lla mor; mari mari dictum domini.
> I have a ?having-done sail/? on the sea; (lla for)
I have a love sails on the sea.  or do we not use pres. parts. in this
way?

> > Ys dunaf mi ystyn drui gos; quanto quanto dixit domino.
> He gave me these three things; (ystyn thrui chos)
> I think mi could be disjunctive mui.
>
> > Mi dunaf yn ceres, calgul n'a rhen; mari &c.
> Gave me a cherry, ?????? has not; (?stone/?)
yep, stone or pit (fruit, not bottomless)

> > Mi dunaf yn coluf, os n'a rhen; quanto &c.
> Gave me a ?????, bone has not;
a dove (or a saint ;-) )

> > Mi dunaf yn ffuidin, ngarmen rhen; mari &c.
> Gave me a little baby, does not cry;
> >
> > Eo rhuaf-lle ystyn drui gos: quanto &c.
> I asked him these three things:
> > Co sa si poth yn ceres, calgul n'a rhen? mari &c.
> How can it be a cherry, having no stone?
> > Co sa si poth yn coluf, os n'a rhen? quanto &c.
> How can it be a ?????, having no bone?
> > Co sa si poth yn ffuidin, ngarmen rhen? mari &c.
> How can it be a little baby, does not cry?
> >
> > Mew afan mui llo rhesponnef: quanto &c.
> My having done answered him:
My love me this answered:

> > Yn ceres in ill fflor sa n'a calgul rhen; mari &c.
> A cherry in the flower has no ??????;
> > Yn coluf in lla ew sa n'a os rhen; quanto &c.
> A coluf in the egg has no bone;
> > Yn ffuid in ill gwenter sa ngarmen rhen; mari &c.
> A baby in the ?womb/? does not cry;
yep, womb

> Mostly legible: it contains some archaisms, the use of ystyn as a
> demonstrative article rather than a pronoun, and some the word order is
> awkward to preserve some sense of rhyme.  The inclusion of borrowings from
> Kernu (poth rather than pod, if I have translated it correctly) suggests
> that Dr Widgery is trying to pull a fast one!  But that's no worse than
> some howlers that other folklorists have tried to pass off on a supine
> public.

Well...it _ought_ to be B rather than K as there are no vocabulary
borrowings that i am aware of; but the good doctor being a speaker of the
latter, he probably couldn't help hearing poth in stead of pod.  I suppose
in poetry and song one ought to expect a certain amount of archaism and
awkward wording.  Plus, the collection this comes from is getting on
towards 400 years old.

Padraic.