Re: nu alltr e gw alltr?

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> Brithenig being a conservative language, I conclude then that
> "a chas" [@xas] < AD CASAM and "af cas" [@cas] < A CASA.  Of course
> the spelling "af" is artificial, probably made consistent at
> the revival of learning.

I understand Brithenig's conservatism reflects its sound change.  Its
vulgar form was more scholarly than other parts of the empire which is why
it preserved palatal consonants rather than convert them into affricates
as did other romance languages.  I am reluctant to state that a(b)
survived in Brithenig, the only place in greater Romania that it did
survive is in Italian 'da', otherwise it becomes obscured with a(d) and
replaced with other prepositions.

> Roughly speaking, so-called "raddoppiamento sintattico" occurs
> following a word which ends in a stressed vowel, provided the
> two words are in close nexus:  "parḷ chiaro" comes out as
> [par lok kja ro].

Interesting feature.  I wonder how it would work in Brithenig.

As for alchyn + nasal mutation marking the indefinite plural I think it is
more likely to remain + spirant mutation.  More information when at hand.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz
Life is short, so am I!