Re: Breathanach orthography: a minor suggestion

Padraic Brown wrote:

> So what's the difference between the 8-bit and the other
> [Breathanach page]?

The 8-bit uses actual Latin-1 characters, whereas the "other" uses
HTML entity references like à and é.  Any standards-compliant
browser will render them in exactly the same way.

> I'm thinking of following John's suggested accents as well for Kernu.
> Since Breathanach has such strong initial stress, I assume the accent
> marks' only role is to differentiate vowel quality.

Quality and length; if an accent appears at all, it shows length;
which accent appears shows quality (grave = open, acute = close).

> In that case, it
> might be a nice idea to follow the new pattern.

New?!  A Dhia ara (pron. ['yE ra])!  That's the Old Pattern.  As such,
Kernow speakers, given their established character, should be proud to
have stuck to it.