Re: Breathanach orthography: a minor suggestion

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> > In that case, it
> > might be a nice idea to follow the new pattern.
>
> New?!  A Dhia ara (pron. ['yE ra])!  That's the Old Pattern.  As such,
> Kernow speakers, given their established character, should be proud to
> have stuck to it.

Hey!  It's new to those of us who are only familiar with Spanish's all
acute all the time approach!  Besides, it's not like they ever actually
_teach_ students about these things.  When we are finally exposed to
someone else's way of accenting, by for example, visiting Catalunya, we're
told simply "that's just how they do it over there".

None of my teachers were solidly familiar with historical Romance
linguistics.  The ones that were familiar with older languages weren't
familiar at all with Romance.

Padraic.