Re: Breathanach orthography: a minor suggestion

So what's the difference between the 8-bit and the other?  Both seem
identical (and _very_ good looking!) with Netscape Communicator 4.06; and
Opera 3.21; and IE 4.0; doesn't look too good in Lynx; the columns are all
out of kilter on Internet Explorer 3.0 (what else is new!?). This might be
aleviated by spacing the columns a bit more -- even on Netscape and Opera,
they seem _very_ crowded, though properly aligned, and there's lots of
empty room on the page!  It doesn't do at all well in Cello, because it
would seem that Cello can't handle tabs or columns or tables.

I'm thinking of following John's suggested accents as well for Kernu.
Since Breathanach has such strong initial stress, I assume the accent
marks' only role is to differentiate vowel quality.  In that case, it
might be a nice idea to follow the new pattern.  Kernu uses accents
primarily to mark word final stress; but there are those niggling vowel
quality differences that might be nice to differentiate.

Padraic.

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Geoff Eddy wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>
> > I suggest, therefore, that a-acute in Breathanach be replaced throughout
> > by a-grave.
>
> I don't know why, but it seemed such a good idea that I've implemented
> it. All I have to do now is remember to change all those acutes in my
> word-lists...

I guess that means we don't get to vote on it?  Typical!