Re: Breathanach orthography: a minor suggestion

John Cowan wrote:

[interesting stuff about accents in Romance]

> I suggest, therefore, that a-acute in Breathanach be replaced throughout
> by a-grave.  I realize that this means a bigger separation from
> Irish (which has standardized on the acute), but I feel funny seeing
> a-acute in a Romance language.

Hmmm... I can't make my mind up. Why don't we have a vote on it?

FWIW, Scots Gaelic prefers the grave on *all* vowels, except for acutes
on close /e/ and /o/. This is what inspired the Breathanach
vowel-system, which is more complicated than Irish.

I could go on, but I await other people's thoughts with interest...

Geoff
--
 [] My mission in life is to create original,    [] Geoff Eddy, in
Edinburgh []