Re: Kemrese Philately II

I seem to have gotten this twice, and only replied to Andrew before.

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

> >I'd have to scrounge around to find the B words.  Livra, sols and
> >deneirs work south of the Limestone Hills, though.  The ratios are the
> >same as the British pound *here*: 12d = 1/- 20/- + L1.  Good and solid and
> >in use throughout western Europe.  (Except Spain and Portugal where
> >things _really_ get crazy.)
> >
> Llir, Sollt and deneir.
> >
> >Not likely.  Zeppelin ports take up a great deal of space -- much larger
> >than an airport -- (hangars, towers, miles of rail, roads, maintainance
> >facilities, etc.) and a small place like Cambria can only support so many.
> >Duneint has two: one civillian outside of Esca and one military at an
> >undisclosed location, but obvious enough to anyone with eyes to see
> >something that bloody big. ;-)
> >
> I guess Zeppelin travel survived the accident just before the Second Great
> War *There*.  Does the aeroplane remain a novelty then?

I heard recently that the problem was not the hydrogen per se, but readily
flammible cloth.  (Of course, the hydrogen didn't help matters, once
enough oxygen had gotten into the thing!)  Given what's *here* and what's
*there*, I don't think one minour incident of that sort would kill a whole
mode of transport.  Especially since there's really nothing to replace it.
And with the more modern use of helium, a _very_ lucrative trade item for
whoever owns the market there, the incidents of such explosions are few
and far between.  I know the world's largest helium reserves are in the
US, but I'm not certain which state.  I doubt very much that it falls
within any FK colony; more likely somewhere in Mexico.

I should think the aeroplane would remain something of a novelty, though
the military applications couldn't be ignored for too long; possibly just
long enough to keep them out of the Great Wars.  Without them, the
helicopter may have sprung to the fore for more varied uses much earlier.

> Probably *there* Diana married a Captain Marks.
>
> I have noticed that before English Law took over in Wales they had a law
> code called the Law of Hywel.  I'm now wondering how to translate that name
> into Brithenig.  The name is native, cognate with Breton Hoel and means
> 'eminent'.  I can't find an etymology for it - unless Ray or Sally have
> one.  I forsee three options 1. Hywel's Law; 2. The Eminent Law; or 3.
> Change Hywel Dda with another Lawgiver King *there* and name it after him.

Nothin wrong with #3.

Padraic.