Re: The House of Stuart

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, John Cowan wrote:

> > Padraic has suggested to me that the grammar needs a description on
> > reflexive nouns in Brithenig.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> What are reflexive nouns?  I know reflexive verbs and pronouns.

Indeed it ought to be reflexive verbs: lavarse, matarse, etc.  I'm not
entirely certain how it got changed into reflexive nouns (but there's an
idea for someone's conlang!). It couldn't be pronouns, as B already has
them.  I suspect that it already has reflexive verbs as well, it's just
that they haven't come up yet; and indeed the grammar makes no mention of
them.

> > We have also been discussing the role of the Cos Nustr/Chois Nustoer in
> > Kemrese society - but I'll let him speak on that.
>
> Spill, spill!

Allright; you asked for it!

<Floodgates open>

Cos Nustr seems to have developped over a period of many years in many
places throughout Cambria as local organisations devoted to protecting the
lives, liberty and property of the local residents from the predations of
the nobility.  These independent and local organisations have evolved into
a rather more complex national organisation, as outlined below.

What Cos Nustr/Chois Nustoer is:  CN is a combination of Cosa Nostra (the
primitive origins of the modern Mafia, but without the criminal angle);
terrorism a la the IRA ("up the long ladder and down the short rope" sort
of thing);  pronational/antiforeign politics; and a bit of the old time
Klan thrown in for measure (no cross burnings, nothing "racial", but a
fair number of house burnings to teach foreigners what's what).  As the
20th century has progressed, the political arm of CN has grown rather
steadily, particularly in the eastern sectors of the country.  The use of
violence has declined somewhat, but has by no means been eradicated.

What Cos Nustr/Chois Nustoer is not:  CN is not the Mob or the Mafia as
seen in popular moving pictures or in novels.  The criminal element of CN
is generally restricted to high spirited youth members who engage in a
little looting during periods of unrest.  It's not CN's interest to
secretly infiltrate Cas Gwent or any other sector of Government.  On the
contrary, their primary aims are to alter the current government's views
(by public displays of protest, or by using terrorism and violence when
necessary); and to ultimately overturn the government by electing members
of associated political parties.  While the use of violence is not
proscribed, it is seen as a temporary measure at best.

Historical Outiline of CN:  The earliest manifestations of CN type
organisations are lost in the mists of time.  Very likely, they were of a
Robin Hoodish nature, determined to protect the powerless against the
predations of the native aristocracy, nobility and the Church.  Their
primary aims were to protect the common folk from excessive tax and tithe
burdens and to eliminate injustice wherever possible.

Later, by the late 13th century, renewed interest in reclaiming the whole
of Britain for the British spurred certain members of the aristocracy and
nobility, such as Owain Glyndwr, into leading invasion parties across the
border.  Since there was no national military effort behind these raids,
their effects were quite limited.

As warfare with England became less and less a popular idea, as the
aristocracy steadily lost its powers, and as the government became more
reformed respecting the rights of the common folk; CN turned its
attentions more towards the foreigners living within Cambria along the
borderlands: Ill Paes, Brechelch and eastern Kernow.  The English living
in these areas were the focus of CN's interest; though accounts of excess
violence are rare.

As time progressed, immigrants arrived in greater numbers and from more
varied places.  The English continued to move into the border lands,
Gypsies spread out thoughout the country, Spanish sailors continually
migrated to the port towns of Kernow and even Greeks and Italians have
been known to immigrate, especially to the area around Caerleon.  CN, now
a recognised and named organisation, as well as other antiforeign groups,
grew increasingly alarmed at the rate of immigration from the latter half
of the 19th century onwards.  Several backlashes occured in the years
following both the Great Wars in Europe, the refugees of which fled from
German might and the aftermath of the wars.  The ideal of Britain for the
British became popular again and rather widespread, but in the form of
Cambria for the Comro.

The National Front (a proComro political organisation aimed at "making
Cambria a safe place for the Comro"; they were antiEnglish, anti-
immigrant, and antiKernow), originally organised in the 1970s, joined with
Cos Nutr.  NF's anti Kernow sentiments created a rift between the CN of
Comro and the CN of Kernow; and CN of Kernow became increasingly anti
Comro in its own outlook.  In 1986, CN of Kernow absorbed the old National
Party (a very old proCambria party originally formed in the early 19th
century to work against the Act of Federation of 1805; they were set
against Irish liberation in any form, working against Daniel Ui Conell's
campaign of the 1820s and working against Irish nationalism in the 1910s;
they were generally set against colonialism, thinking that colonials were
not true Cambrian patriots and celebrated great victories as the colonies
became independent members of the Commonwealth; in recent years they have
turned their attention towards the increase of immigration and the
predations of Cas Gwent) as well as the Labour Party (proTrade Union and
proProfessional Guild, both of which were dead set against immigrants
taking jobs and resources from natives).  Locally, CN of Kernow has set
itself up as a watchdog against Cas Gwent, particularly in the matter of
the many ethnic Comro living in Duneint, whom CN feel are gaining special
treatment and protection from Cas Gwent.

What CN does:  As a political movement, CN has retained its ultimate core
ideology of guarding their constituents from the predations of others.
These predations and their constituency have changed and developped
considerably over the centuries from a general antiaristocratic stance to
much more refined international and domestic policies.  The majority of
the political works have shifted from CN proper to their various
associated political parties, especially National Front and National
Party.  The more radical terror and violence wings of CN are what have
been most active in the past century.  Several large scale bombings have
been conducted, often at politically tense moments: 1910, with economic
disaster imminent and Parliament not prepared to take any action, CN
staged nationwide strikes and protests, the one in Glastein resulting in
the bombing of the headquarters of the Royal Bank of Dunnow; 1922, several
incidents of arson and small bombings in several Irishtowns within
Cambria, as well as an attempt to destroy the building housing the Irish
independence vote election returns, thwarted by a Catholic Priest and a
little Irish girl; majour campaigns after both Great Wars aimed at recent
immigrants, hundreds of immigrants killed during an attack on the Customs
House outside of Caerleon; 1982, antiEnglish sentiment reached fever pitch
caused by certain English immigrant "Protectionary Laws", culminating with
the Victoria Station bombing in London, the first large scale attack on
England since the days of Owain Glyndwr; 1988, general unrest throughout
Cambria resulting from further proEnglish and pro-immigrant laws,
culminating in large protests throughout the country and several bombings
in prominent cities: Caerleon, Esca, Glastein, Deva, etc.  Since 1988, CN
has been relatively quiet, except along the Fence, as the border with
England is called, where at least three English families are burned out of
their houses in a given year.

CN membership:  The vast majority of CN members live in the Hundreds along
the Fence in the provinces of Ill Paes, Brechelch and Duneint.  Anyone of
reasonable age, willing to serve the Cause of Cambrian freedom and willing
to protect Cambrian interests is welcome.  The majority of CN members
throughout the country are rather peaceful people who simply don't want to
be shafted;  they participate in the rallies and in elections, but tend to
leave off violence unless unavoidable.  The rather more hardened CN
members readily make use of all the weapons at their disposal.

The Enemy:  The enemies of CN, in general, are as follows: 1) the English
2) other immigrants 3) resident aliens 4) the Gypsies and other minour
groups.  In Kernow, the particulars are somewhat different: 1) the English
2) resident aliens (here a derogatory term for the Comro living in
Duneint) 3) Cas Gwent 4) the Provincial Governor (seen as a threatening
arm of the central government) 5) other immigrants 6) the local Royal
Houses.

Organisational hierarchy:  CN is somewhat loosely organised at the
national level.  The head of CN of Comro is styled "ill don", or Lord;
while the head of CN of Kernow is styled "il Maystoers", or Master.  In
Comro, the various cells are lead by "padr lla ffefil" or "madr lla
ffefil", or father and mother of the family.  In Kernow, four "Rheys" or
kings (one in each kingdom) answer to the Master, while each cell is
governed by a "Tiernos", or lord.  CN as a whole or cells thereof in
Kernow are often refered to as "collegi" or guilds.

<Floodgates close>

Well, Cambria has teeth after all!  And sharp ones at that.

The 1982 and 1988 incidents have spurred a new genre in Kemrese
speculative fiction, based upon different possible outcomes and actions of
CN activities.  They range from "what if those CN buggers would just leave
off?" to "what if CN tried to nuke London?" to "what if Cambria invaded
England and swept the whole place clean; and then reconquer the whole
Empire?"

Padraic.